Currently waking up at 5.30 a.m. which is painful to say the least. Obviously I never have time for breakfast before I leave the house, but am miserable without it. This is the way I stay sane and on time for work:
- Make sure charming flat-mate has ear-plugs so she won’t be woken by your clattering around – guilt will only make you more nauseous.
- Consider going to bed in tomorrow’s clothes, instead leave them in a neat pile on the floor.
- Have a delicious bowl of oats, coconut and cinnamon waiting in the microwave – hit start as you take a two minute shower.
- Add half a hastily chopped banana and spoon into a jamjar.
- Use jar as a hand-warmer unti you can stomach the idea of breakfast – whether at bus-stop. on the underground or at your desk.
There you have it – get out the door in nine minutes flat, and feel warm, well-fed and a liitle bit smug, at least until morning tea.
serves one tired girl for about two weeks
1 kg rolled oats
100g dessicated coconut
2 tbs cinnamon
2 big pinches salt
optional: lots of bananas
maple syrup, almond butter, cream…
Stir all dry ingredients together. Add extra dried fruits, nuts, whatever takes your fancy. In the evening, tip 1/2 cup oat mix and 1 cup water into a large breakfast bowl and leave in the microwave. (It does taste better with milk but it tends to boil over while you are in the shower. Bonus: soaking oats overnight is good for digestion.)
In the morning, hit 2 minutes medium-high on the microwave and get dressed. Then hurriedly chop half a banana and stir into porridge with optional extras. Tip into jam-jar, leave house. Do not forget keys, wallet or spoon!