je brunch, tu brunch: extras

25 Sep

homemade lemon curd and raspberry jam

(Following on from “je brunch, tu brunch: savoury” and “sweet”)

To round out what is now a monster brunch, a jar of homemade raspberry jam, some lemon curd and a killer recipe for Belgian Chocolate Spread, from a neighbour of mine. Simply melt 100g each of chocolate and butter and mix with 150g sweetened condensed milk. Rich and sweet, more like ganache than Nutella. Pure chocolate indulgence. Supposedly to be served on fresh baguettes, really just for spooning up when no-one is looking.

If you have time you can blend some chickpeas, olive oil, lemon juice and pickled red peppers for a quick red pepper houmous. Taste, season and serve with a few red pepper slices artfully arranged on top.

Finally, for a touch of class, make some cold brewed coffee overnight (it has a much cleaner flavour than cooled-down coffee) and some chilled green tea with cucumber and mint. And a little jug of vanilla syrup to sweeten (250g sugar, 250g water brought to the boil, add 1/2 tsp vanilla extract).

brunch extras 3

Have guests bring all the rest: fresh bread, some cheese, some ripe fruit. Brioche or croissants. Orange juice, sparkling wine. People like to bring things, and it is best to be specific. I am often too pernickety: bring a baguette tradition but from the bakery on the corner, not the one opposite my house. Bring strawberries, but only Gariguettes and not those Spanish monstrosities. Avocadoes ready to eat. My friends mostly laugh and comply – they know they will be well fed for their troubles.

In the end there was… too much food. As ever. Always better to have more than less. I sent people home with cakes – a cake pusher. My lists were crossed off and crumpled up. I learned things and tried new recipes. Satisfied, grateful for my friends, ready to dream of the next menu and even the next three years…

brunch extras 2

7 Responses to “je brunch, tu brunch: extras”

1. cakeinthehouse September 25, 2013 at 3:00 pm #

sounds delicious!! I will have to try that chocolate spread..as I love anything with condensed milk. How do you like to enjoy your lemon curd? It’s not as popular here and when I try to tell people about the awesomeness of lemon curd, they usually ask me, “how do you eat it?”

• Frances September 25, 2013 at 5:36 pm #

Like my granny used to make, on the fluffiest white rolls! On brioche, pancakes, with a spoon? In porridge with raspberries is wonderful.
      People are silly, don’t know what they are missing!

2. purplefoodie September 26, 2013 at 8:17 am #

Your neighbours share recipe?! I don’t even know my neighbours. Also, can’t believe you live near Rue de Crimée – I used to live a few streets down from there on Rue de Romainville. But I guess it depends which side you’re on because that’s a long street.

Loved reading your brunch series. I’m tempted to host one now.

X Shaheen

Envoyé de mon iPhone

• Frances September 26, 2013 at 12:40 pm #

It’s the best way to get to know someone, sharing recipes 🙂

Are you still in Paris?

3. Anne October 3, 2013 at 1:28 am #

I made the chocolate spread – with Lindt orange that has tiny flecks of almond. Tastes like Terry’s orange, only so much better. Great consistency. Have had to sticky tape the top of the jar closed and put in the highest cupboard – that I can’t reach without a high stool – to stop myself eating it all before others even get a taste! My neighbours gave me eggs this week (I give them bread). So lemon curd will be next.

• Frances October 3, 2013 at 1:56 pm #

You sound like a great neighbour! This is why I had to give stuff away at the end of the brunch – the highest shelf is too close for me!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. chickpeas and chocolate (not together) | tangerine drawings - March 13, 2014

[…] brunch guide (simple red pepper hummus) […]

What do you think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s