just breakfast

21 Nov

breakfast

One of the first food blogs I followed, Simply Breakfast, was just that. Elegant and interesting breakfast for one, simply photographed. It disappeared a while ago, but some of her photos can be found here.

I love weekend breakfast, I love inviting people over for pancakes or waffles. (Or tebirkes!) I love making several pots of coffee and sitting around in pyjamas and slippers long past noon.

In the week though, I tend to oversleep and run out of the door with fruit and a yoghurt to eat standing up at work. Not so good. I need the motivation to wake up earlier and eat something heartier.

Options:

Porridge: a surfeit of regular, oat porridge got boring a while back. But Holybelly’s black rice porridge with fromage frais and berries is absolutely fantastic, ink-dark and full of flavour. I tried it at home twice, forgot about it twice, burned it twice. Working on it…

Toast: in any French household there is always a bit of baguette lying around from the night before. Our fridge is full of half-full jars too, lemon curd, fig jam, a tangerine-raspberry experiment that is a touch too stiff. Weirdly though, my sweet tooth is fading, the more I work with pastry. Who knew you could eat too many macarons?! For a savoury option, we have enormous avocados from the Indian shop across the road. They are as big as two normal ones, light and delicate. Mashed avocado, olive oil and coarse salt on toast. Perfect.

Eggs: Am too lazy to turn on the stove before work, so a stash of boiled eggs in the fridge makes things easy. This morning I had boiled eggs on buttered bread, plenty of pepper; a leftover matcha pannacotta with honey; and a pomelo. Luxury.

What are your breakfast staples? I would love some new ideas.

8 Responses to “just breakfast”

1. Sarah Muston November 21, 2014 at 10:30 am #

At present we are having fresh mango or papaya with our yoghurt !!
    Avacado on toast with fres tomato is one I love but only ever have it out for breakfast !

• Frances November 22, 2014 at 6:34 pm #

I love going out fo avocado toast in Oz – they don’t really do that here! Fresh mango…sigh.

2. Ruth Mitchell November 21, 2014 at 11:32 am #

My favourite is freshly squeezed orange juice, homemade muesli with yoghurt, fresh fruit – currently blueberries and strawberries – walnuts and a little freshly squeezed orange juice from my glass to give it some extra tang. It’s wonderful when blood oranges are in season, as the yogurt turns pink! Followed by coffee made in my stovetop coffee maker.

• Frances November 22, 2014 at 6:34 pm #

That sounds really lovely, a nice combination of flavour and texture. Bon appetit!

3. le coyote November 21, 2014 at 12:50 pm #

I love pain de seigle with beurre aux cristaux de sel. I toast the bread so that the butter melts when smeared on it. Otherwise, avocado on pain au levain, or a scrambled egg. On occasions, I buy a pain aux raisins in a good bakery, but my sweet tooth wakes up about 3 hours after the rest of my body.

• Frances November 22, 2014 at 6:35 pm #

From Du Pain et Des Idees? 🙂

Funny – a sleepy sweet tooth!

4. fabrikacrafts November 21, 2014 at 3:41 pm #

Too many macarons?! Not sure I understand…

• Frances November 22, 2014 at 6:35 pm #

Come help me eat them!

What do you think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s